by Glenn R. Swift
The Black Death (or Great Plague as it is sometimes referred to) was one of the deadliest pandemics in human history, peaking in Europe between 1348 and 1350. It is widely thought to have been an outbreak of bubonic plague caused by the bacterium Yersinia pestis, but this view has been challenged in recent years. Usually thought to have started in Central Asia, the Black Death had reached the Crimea by 1346. From there it spread rapidly throughout the Mediterranean and Europe, most likely carried by fleas residing on the black rats that were regular passengers on merchant ships.
The lethality of the Black Death is nearly unimaginable. It struck indiscriminately and from 1348 to 1400 is estimated to have killed 30% to 60% of Europe’s population, thus reducing the world’s population from an estimated 450 million to be-ween 350 and 375 million. The Black Death is viewed by many scholars as creating a series of religious, social and economic upheavals that had profound effects upon the course of history. Incredibly, it took 150 years for Europe’s population to recover. Although the plague returned at various times and resulted in a large number of deaths, it never wielded the virulence of the Middle Ages and Europe has not witnessed another outbreak for over 200 years.
During the most dreadful outbreaks of the Black Death, a few people found a way to survive through the use of herbal remedies. Among the more colorful of these fortunate individuals were four thieves from Marseilles, who while plunder- ing for treasures among the dead and near dead protected themselves with garlic and a concoction of herbs extracted in vinegar.
Although the story sounds like little more than a fairy tale, there is credible evidence to substantiate the story, including the archives of the Parliament of Toulouse (1628-1631).
So what happened to the four thieves? Well… they got caught! But as Paul Harvey used to say “there’s more to the story.”
Faced with being burnt at the stake, the infamous four were offered the milder sentence of death by hanging if they chose to divulge their secret. Seeking a quicker form of execution, the four revealed their inner knowledge to the court.
What was the secret? In a nutshell, the mystical potion was a combination of five essential oils: clove, lemon, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus and rosemary. Now for the really good news. Young Living has a product specifically based upon this centuries old formula.
Thieves Essential Oil Blend
- Clove Oil — Nature’s richest source of eugenol is the highest-scoring single ingredient tested for its antioxidant capacity on the ORAC scale. Clove is also known for its immune-enhancing properties.
- Lemon Oil — With 68% d-limonene, lemon oil is a powerful antioxidant known for its ability to act as a natural solvent and cleanser.
- Cinnamon Bark — High in antioxidants, Cinnamon Bark has a reputation for relieving dis- comfort during the winter season and supporting the digestive system.
- Eucalyptus Radiata — As one of the most versatile of the eucalyptus oils, Eucalyptus Radiata has many health-promoting properties. This powerful essential oil contains eucalyptol as one of its major elements, which in laboratory tests has been reported as being effective against bacteria in topical applications.
- Rosemary Oil — Rosemary oil is naturally energizing and may be beneficial for helping to restore mental alertness when experiencing fatigue.
This revolutionary blend combines the pure essential oils of rosemary, cinnamon, lemon, eucalyptus and clove, all known for their clinically proven germ-fighting power. Unlike many products that rely heavily upon harsh chemicals, these natural plant solutions are powerful yet safe enough to be used daily. In fact, Thieves has been proven to be up to 99.9% effective against airborne bacteria.
Apply on the feet for internal benefits, or diffuse throughout the home to kill dangerous airborne bacteria and black mold. Better yet, you can arm yourself with the power of Thieves in an entire line of Young Living home and personal care products, including house- hold cleaner, toothpaste, hand soap and more.
To purchase Thieves and other Young Living Products, contact Sharon Quercioli
Young Living – Florida
Independent Distributor: 516264
Phone: (561) 309-7276
“These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. Products and techniques mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information provided here is in no way intended to replace proper medical help. Consult with the health authorities of your choice.”