One of my favorite fruits, the avocado, has been cultivated for thousands of years. Native to Central America, avocado is not only delicious, but an important component of a healthy diet. In fact, some consider this amazing fruit to be an almost complete food – so much so that in certain parts of the world babies are weaned using mashed avocado.
Here are 11 reasons why you should be eating the awesome avocado:
- Reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Helps in the prevention and treatment of prostate and breast cancers.
- Contains a number of vitally important minerals like potassium, calcium, Vitamin C and K, folic acid, copper, sodium and dietary fibers.
- Contains oleic acid that has been shown to lower LDL cholesterol levels.
- Been shown to reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke.
- Improves the ability of the body to absorb carotenoids.
- Used to help people who have sexual problems.
- Is a good antioxidant.
- Used in the treatment of skin disorders.
- Used to heal people who suffer from digestive and circulatory problems.
- Pulp is believed by many to be anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.
Let me share with you one of my awesome avocado recipes!
Avocado and Corn Salsa Recipe
- 3 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and diced into large cubes
- 3 ears of corn (about 2 cups of kernels), husked
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- ½ cup of olive oil
- ½ cup of lime juice
- ¼ cup of freshly chopped oregano
- ¼ cup of red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of Tabasco
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Blanch the corn in boiling water for 3 minutes, then drain and cool under cold water.
- Cut the kernels off the cob and mix together with all the remains ingredients in a suitably sized bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Serve as desired (goes well with seafood, such as shrimp).
Don’t forget that one avocado a day keeps the doctor away!